Posted in pmbwfdepokue

Special Needs Support Program Gets Fourth Year

first_imgA tuition support program for students with special needs has been expanded. “Providing a fourth year of coverage will allow students to remain in their current programs while we complete our review,” Education Minister Karen Casey said. Ms. Casey announced earlier this year that the tuition support program will have an internal review. The report is expected next June. Students with special needs receive special programs in their local schools. The tuition support program, however, provides eligible students with assistance while they attend a designated private special education school. This year, each eligible student will receive $6,600 to help pay for tuition at the three approved schools, Landmark East in Wolfville and Churchill Academy and Bridgeway Academy in Dartmouth. Some families with lower incomes receive additional support. Students and families go through an application and approval process each year. In the 2007-08 school year, about 125 students were enrolled in the program. There were about 30 students who received third-year funding and may be eligible for a fourth year. The estimated cost of extending the program is $220,000. The total cost will be $1.2 million. Students with attention deficit disorder, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, autism spectrum disorder or learning disabilities may be eligible for tuition support.last_img read more

Posted in oukceoxyxfna

Over 1500 police personnel deployed for Dikshits funeral

first_imgNew Delhi: As former Delhi CM, Sheila Dikshit was laid to rest on Sunday at the Capital, the Delhi Police left no stone unturned to make sure that the funeral procession travelled in peace, with the least amount of inconvenience for members of the public. As the city mourned the loss of a legend, more than 1,500 police personnel from multiple districts mobilised, bearing the brunt of all-weather extremities to ensure that the process went peacefully. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderOn Sunday, hundreds came to former Delhi CM’s Nizammudin home to pay their respects. Later, her body was taken to the Congress headquarters in Central Delhi. The cremation took place at the Nigambodh Ghat on the banks of Yamuna. Police officials said that Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik, himself was monitoring the whole situation. Special Commissioner of Police (law and Order North), Sanjay Singh told the Millennium Post that adequate security arrangements were made for the last rites. Senior officers of districts were on the street to make sure no untoward incident took place. The Special CP was himself involved in maintaining proper security arrangements. Since morning, various security agencies were on their toes to make sure that no untoward incident took place during the funeral procession. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsAt various roads, traffic and local police were controlling the movement of vehicles on the street, making sure that hassle-free movement is provided for Sheila Dikshit’s hearse. Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central) Mandeep Singh Randhawa said that the arrangements were made for more than 1,500 personnel to be posted on the street. “Four DCP rank officers, 10 ACP, and 25 inspectors were deployed for the last rites,” he added. According to the police official, the rain did not deter the policemen on duty, who nevertheless made sure that the process went smoothly, without a hitch. At Nigambodh Ghat, several layers of security were placed to maintain safety. Deputy Commissioner of Police (North), Nupur Prasad said that foolproof arrangements were made in the North district. “It was a well-coordinated effort from all security agencies,” she said. Vehicles were not allowed to stop nearby the ghat to maintain a smooth flow of traffic. ‘Prakaram’ vans and riot control vans were also deployed at different locations in the city.last_img read more

Posted in lhoxmaqsffnv

BC First Nation sets out tougher rules for mining in its territory

WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. – A group of First Nations from Williams Lake, B.C., whose territory includes the area devastated by the Mount Polley tailings pond breach has created a detailed mining policy that will apply to existing, proposed and future projects in its territory.Northern Shuswap Tribal Council mining co-ordinator Jacinda Mack said Monday the policy is not meant to thwart mining in the area, but seeks to ensure the industry is sustainable, environmentally safe and has the support of First Nations.The 54-page document was developed with the help of experts when the Xat’sull, formerly the Soda Creek First Nation, commissioned the project last year.The plan was launched before the Mount Polley disaster last August when millions of litres of mine water and waste gushed over the landscape near Likely, B.C., and shut down operations at the Imperial Metals open pit, copper and gold mine.“This policy isn’t about shutting down mining,” said Mack. “It’s basically saying we have four operational mines in our territory, and how are we going to deal with them in a way that makes them safer, more accountable and more engaged with us.”She said the policy is tougher than current mining regulations in B.C. It does not override provincial laws but the group says it will serve as indigenous law for anyone doing mining business in more than five-million hectares of its traditional First Nations territory.Under the aboriginal policy, mining companies can no longer stake a mineral claim on territory without attempting meaningful consultation with the First Nations, Mack said.Companies will be held to a polluter pays principle to cover any operational damages and clean-up costs, she said. Environmental stewardship of the area, including potential impacts decades into the future, will be considered before the First Nations support the developments.“It’s having to come to us with a clear understanding up front of what we want rather than kind of going through government,” said Mack. “This is saying we are a level of government in our territory and you need to speak to us as well, and our standards are higher and our level of scrutiny is beyond current mining legislation in B.C.”Xat’sull First Nation Chief Bev Sellars said in a statement the document will serve as a rule book for companies wanting to do mining business in the Northern Shuswap territories.“With this mining policy we can no longer be ignored or imposed upon, and the province and industry can no longer claim they do not know how to work with us — this document spells that out in clear, specific terms,” said Sellars in her statement.B.C.’s Energy and Mines Ministry said in a statement it is reviewing the Northern Shuswap’s mining policy document.“The province is committed to working with First Nations so they can benefit from economic activity in their traditional territories,” said ministry spokesman David Haslam in a statement.“Over the past four years, the province and First Nations have signed more than 200 agreements, including strategic engagement agreements; reconciliation agreements; economic and community development agreements; forestry agreements and clean-energy project revenue-sharing agreements.”— By Dirk Meissner in Victoria AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email by The Canadian Press Posted Dec 1, 2014 1:28 pm MDT B.C. First Nation sets out tougher rules for mining in its territory read more