Greek dry bulk owner EuroDry has signed a memorandum of agreement to purchase a Panamax drybulk carrier built in 2004 in Japan.The 75,845 dwt M/V Star of Nippon, to be renamed M/V Starlight, is expected to be delivered to the company by the end of November 2018.The acquisition will be financed with funds at hand and debt which is in the process of arranging, EuroDry said.“We are very pleased to commence the process of growing EuroDry Ltd by acquiring M/V Star of Nippon, a vessel that will complement perfectly the rest of our Japanese built panamaxes and our three newbuilt vessels, an ultramax and two kamsarmaxes. “We believe that the drybulk market will provide significant opportunities for positive returns over the next several years and we have been working to position EuroDry to take full advantage of them for the benefit of our shareholders,”Aristides Pittas, Chairman and CEO of EuroDry Ltd., commented.EuroDry was spun-off from Euroseas Ltd on May 30, with the objective of consolidating Euroseas’ drybulk fleet into a separate listed public company.The latest purchase will bring EuroDry’s fleet to 7 ships, including four Panamaxes, two Kamsarmaxes and one Ultramax.
SLIVER.tv, a 360º virtual reality broadcasting technology company, has raised $9.8 million (£7.7m) in series A funding in its bid to transform the esports spectator experience.Co-founder and CEO of SLIVER.tv, Mitch Lui, said the money would “accelerate our R&D investments in machine vision, artificial intelligence and virtual reality” as the platform develops “cutting edge” live streaming technology for esports fans. He told us in February of the “do or die” approach the team took to ensuring the platform was up to scratch.The round of funding was led by Danhua Capital, and Heuristic Capital Partners joined ZP Capital as fellow investors. Mitch said he was “thrilled” to welcome the trio aboard. The haul brings funding up to a current total of $17.5m (£13.7m). Existing seed contributors DCM, Sierra Ventures, The VR Fund, Samsung Next Fund and Sony Innovation Fund also joined in for the round.“We are very excited to partner with SLIVER.tv,” said Dovey Wan, Managing Director of Danhua Capital. “Mitch and his team are fundamentally transforming the live spectator experience for global esports fans with their patented video streaming technology. Together with a new interactive engagement model, 360º esports content, and a novel incentive model for streamers, tournament organizers, and esports fans, we firmly believe they are ready to disrupt the industry with their next-gen multimedia entertainment platform.”SLIVER.tv has already been a broadcaster for a number of esports tournaments since its last just last year. They have worked with leading esports brands such as ESL One, Intel Extreme Masters and Dreamhack in the US and Europe to bring 360º VR to millions of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and League of Legends fans.In July 2017 the company launched its ‘Watch and Win’ esports platform, which has drawn in hundreds of thousands of esports fans to spend virtual currency viewing and engaging with live games. SLIVER.tv claims nearly 100 years worth of content has been viewed in the past few weeks alone.The platform operates by submerging viewers in a fully immersive 360° in-world stream using virtual camera array technology. The company describes the arrangement as akin to ‘giving them courtside seats’, allowing fans to delve right into the action.Esports Insider says: This technology, along with a pending patent for automatic in-game highlight generation using machine vision, is an exciting prospect for esports fans. We are looking forward to seeing how the tech develops after a promising period of funding.
The Overwatch League has added T-Mobile and SOUR PATCH KIDS to a growing list of sponsors. The companies join the likes of Toyota, OMEN by HP and Intel as partners of the inaugural season. T-Mobile has signed a multi-year agreement to be the “official wireless provider” of the Overwatch League in the United States. The sponsorship will see the brand become exclusive title sponsor of the Overwatch League Regular Season MVP and Finals MVP. The deal will see T-Mobile provide content for its customers throughout the season. The release states there will be “exclusive perks”, an insider’s look at the top MVP candidates and more. Previously T-Mobile was a sponsor of the Overwatch World Cup. “The same way T-Mobile re-wrote the rules of wireless, the Overwatch League is doing for esports, so this partnership is a natural fit for us,” said Meredith Starkey, VP of Events and Sponsorships at T-Mobile. “We’re excited to bring the Un-carrier customer-first experience to esports fans by giving them a voice in voting to select the T-Mobile MVP award winners throughout the season.”SOUR PATCH KIDS will bring fans content that will air on the livestream. On-site, fans will see digital board messaging, branded thundersticks and free sweets at select matches. “The SOUR PATCH KIDS brand is always connecting with our fans where they live and play, which is why we’ve been a part of gaming since 2011,” said Katie Williams, Senior Director of Marketing, North America Confections. “Our sponsorship with the Overwatch League gives us an immersive opportunity to support this exciting evolution in esports and highlight gameplay moments for spectators in the arena and those streaming from home.”“We couldn’t be happier to add iconic consumer brands like T-Mobile and SOUR PATCH KIDS candy to our growing roster of Overwatch League partners,” said Pete Vlastelica, President and CEO of Blizzard Entertainment’s MLG division. “The exclusive experiences, content, and access that both brands have committed to providing will make the Overwatch League fan and viewer experience that much more rewarding for our global audience.”Esports Insider says: More big sponsorship news from the Overwatch League. Two very different sponsors with very different propositions – but they’re big names nonetheless.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error HOUSTON — Dwight Howard played one of his best games of the season Saturday night and wore a huge grin as he did it, seemingly unbothered by recent unsubstantiated reports that he’s unhappy in Houston and could be traded. Howard had 22 points and 14 rebounds, and the Rockets built a huge lead early and rolled to a 107-97 win over the Clippers.“That’s one thing we’ve been talking about in the locker room is not allowing the noise, the distractions to really affect who we are and what we’re trying to accomplish as a team,” Howard said. “That’s what we have to do. There’s always going to be talk, there’s always going to be noise but we have to be able to keep that noise out and only hear the voices of each other.” Houston led by as many as 26 points in the first half and was up by 12 after three quarters. The Rockets opened the fourth with an 8-2 run to make it 91-73. Marcus Thornton highlighted that spurt when he drove into the lane, evaded Blake Griffin and finished with a layup. Houston pushed the lead to 95-76 with about 7 1/2 minutes left when Howard blocked a shot by Austin Rivers, and Trevor Ariza grabbed the ball and dished it to Howard, who finished with a dunk on the other end. The starters for both teams sat down a few minutes after that. Griffin’s 22 points led the Clippers, who lost their second straight.“They wanted to be the aggressors and get into our air space and they did that,” Griffin said. “By the time we looked up and tried to turn it around, we were in too deep of a hole.”James Harden added 18 points with 11 assists, and Ariza scored 17 for Houston.The Rockets got things going with a 38-point first quarter in which they outrebounded the Clippers 20-5. Los Angeles intentionally fouled Howard and Clint Capela for a big chunk of the second to cut the lead to 11 by halftime. A 7-2 spurt, with five points from J.J. Redick, early in the third quarter got the Clippers to 61-53. Ariza made a 3-pointer to extend Houston’s lead, but the Clippers scored the next five points to make it 64-58. Ariza got Houston going again after that, making another 3 to hold off the rally. Chris Paul made a 3-pointer just before the shot clock expired to get Los Angeles within seven points soon after that, but a third 3 by Ariza started a 10-2 run for Houston that made it 78-63 with about 90 seconds left in the third quarter. The Clippers led by one early before Houston scored 15 straight points to make it 23-9 with 5 minutes left in the first quarter. Harden scored seven points during that span and made two nifty passes to Donatas Motiejunas to help add four more points. Los Angeles went almost 4 minutes without scoring as Houston built the lead. The Clippers finally broke the drought on a 3-pointer by Jamal Crawford with about 4 1/2 minutes left in the first. TIP-INS Clippers: Griffin got a technical foul with about 4 1/2 minutes left in the third quarter. … Rivers sprained his right ankle late in the fourth quarter and was helped off the court by Paul. … Redick finished with 19 points and Paul had 12. Rockets: Houston was without G Ty Lawson, who served the first of a two-game suspension without pay for a drunken-driving case in Colorado. … Motiejunas had 10 points. … The Rockets outrebounded the Clippers 55-38.HACKINGThe Clippers trailed by 22 with about 8 minutes left in the second quarter when they started hacking Houston’s big men. They intentionally fouled Howard on five possessions and Capela on three more over the next 3 1/2 minutes. Howard made five of 10 attempts and Capela two of six. The tactic helped the Clippers go on a 15-7 run to cut the lead to 50-36. Rockets interim coach J.B. Bickerstaff took both players out after that, but Howard returned a couple of minutes later and so did the Hack-A-Howard. He made one of two free throws before heading back to the bench. Howard was asked if he would like to see the NBA ban the tactic. “It doesn’t matter,” he said. “It’s a strategy. It’s boring at times, but you’ve just got to go make them.”QUOTABLEClippers coach Doc Rivers on his team’s slow start: “I just didn’t think we had any energy tonight. I should have probably taken our guys out earlier, but we just kept the game close enough that you wanted to play them. But I sensed it really early.”
Republican Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, of Miami, is the first member of Congress to test positive for COVID-19, it was announced Wednesday evening.“In an abundance of caution, after votes on Friday, March 13th, Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart decided to self-quarantine in Washington, D.C., and not return to South Florida because of his wife Tia’s preexisting conditions that put her at exceptionally high risk,” his office said in a statement.It continued, “On Saturday evening, Congressman Diaz-Balart developed symptoms, including a fever and a headache. Just a short while ago, he was notified that he has tested positive for COVID-19. While in quarantine, Diaz-Balart has been working from his apartment in Washington, D.C.”The congressman added that he is “feeling much better. However, it is important that everyone take this extremely seriously and follow CDC guidelines in order to avoid getting sick and mitigate the spread of this virus. We must continue to work together to emerge stronger as a country during these trying times.”A few congressional staffers had previously tested positive for the virus.
The Special Representative of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Commission to Liberia, Ambassador Tunde Ajisomo, has called for the sponsoring of a proposal that would be geared towards the construction of fully equipped health posts at Liberia’s border communities.According him, these posts would create a sense of belonging to residents of bordering towns and villages.Ambassador Ajisomo also called on the Mano River Union’s (MRU) membership to cooperate and collaborate with the rest of ECOWAS’ member states.He said ECOWAS would work with its members to provide assistance to its host communities. Ambassador Ajisomo made the statement when he paid a courtesy call on Internal Affairs Minister, Morris Dukuly at his Capitol Hill office.During the meeting, the envoy assured the Minister of ECOWAS’ readiness to work closely with the Ministry towards advancing integration projects in Liberia and in the sub-region. In response, Internal Affairs Minister Morris Dukuly recounted the role of ECOWAS, especially in the days of the civil war when countries deployed troops in Liberia. Minister Dukuly welcomed the plan by ECOWAS, saying it would strengthen relationships at the borders and strengthen trade, sustainable development and security. He said it was time to begin building a peaceful infrastructure that included trans-border trade and open markets between MRU countries. The MIA boss told the ECOWAS envoy that discussions are underway that were initiated by the Liberian government to introduce what he called the “MRU Peacebuilding and Reconciliation Trust fund.” The Minister said the MRU Peace building and Reconciliation Trust fund would be supported by all members of the Union.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Donegal County Council is advising motorists to leave extra travel time for their journeys as a new stop/go system is put in place today.The N56 roadworks will take place on Inver Bridge towards Cranny Road Area for approximately two months.Starting from today, Monday, part of the route will be single lane only with a stop/go system in place. The works are part of the Drumbeigh – Inver Road SchemeLocation of the roadworks starting on Monday 4th November. Image: MapalerterTravel Alert: Extra time needed as stop/go system begins in Inver was last modified: November 3rd, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
There’s a reason why Urban Meyer is one of the country’s best recruiters. The Ohio State coach and his staff are thorough – ridiculously thorough. The Buckeyes’ recruiting staff sent a Block O Valentine’s Day card to the mother of Brendan Ferns, a four-star linebacker in the 2016 class considering Ohio State. Here it is: Ohio State coaches with a smart mailer. Sent valentine cards to mom of 2016 Brendan Ferns. pic.twitter.com/yPQjNWoSZn— Tom VanHaaren (@TomVH) February 14, 2015Ferns, a 6-foot-3, 223-pound linebacker out of Saint Clairsville, Ohio, is ranked the No. 2 inside linebacker in the country by 247 Sports’ Composite Rankings. He is reportedly considering OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Oklahoma and West Virginia, among other schools. [11W]
Bengaluru: As many as 365 tourists, including 100 from overseas, were rescued from the world famous Hampi heritage site in Karnataka, as heavy rains and flash floods stranded them over the last 2-3 days, an official said on Tuesday. “The Indian Air Force (IAF) crew airlifted the marooned tourists in MI-17 helicopter and the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Dhruv, in batches from a guest house near the Virupapura gadde (island) temple at the Hampi heritage site to the Vijayanagar airport between Hospet and Ballari towns in the state’s northwest region over the last two days,” the official told IANS here. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ Located on the south bank of the Tunga-Bhadra joint rivers, the Unesco recognised heritage site, dotted with ruins and monuments from the 14th century Vijayanagara empire, including the 7th century Virupaksha temple, was inundated after the authorities released excess water from the nearby dam. Hampi in the rich-mining district of Ballari is about 340 km northwest of Bengaluru. “As the 20 km road connectivity to the heritage site from Hospet town was flooded and damaged, the tourists had to be airlifted in turns as they were stranded in a state-run guest house near the temple on an island,” said the official. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K With the southwest monsoon being active since August 1, heavy rains in the catchment areas of the Tunga and Bhadra rivers in the state’s Malnad region filled the reservoir to the brim where the two rivers join near Hospet. “As 2.5-lakh cusecs of water were released from the TB dam since Saturday, the ancient monuments, temple complexes and the market places (bazars) were flooded when the overflowing water breached the banks and entered the ruins,” recalled the official. The choppers were also used to airlift four National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel to safety as they were stuck on the rocks that were submerged by the swirling waters. Other historical places at Hampi, including Purndara mantapa (canopy) and Chola mantapa were submerged while Kampli fort and Anjaneyaswamy temple were flooded due to the TB river overflowing. Hundreds of tourists and pilgrims were also rescued by the state and national disaster response forces from flood-hit Pattadakal in the neighbouring Bagalkot district, which has an another Unesco recognised world heritage site for its 7th-8th century Hindu and Jain temples and monuments. State Tourism Secretary, T.K. Sunil Kumar, however, clarified that there was no damage to the monuments and temples at both the heritage sites due to inundation by the rain water or flooding due to overflowing of the river water. “Measures have been taken to clear the water from the heritage sites by pumping it from the complexes and making ways for reversing the flow back to the river or diverting it in open areas or fields,” Kumar told reporters here. Pattadakal, about 440 km northwest of the state capital (Bengaluru) is one of the prime tourist and religious destinations in the southern state. “Pattadakal is a harmonious blend of architectural forms from the northern and southern India and an illustration of eclectic art. The Hindu temples are dedicated to Shiva, with elements of Vaishnavism and Shaktism fused,” said Unesco for declaring it a world heritage site.
NEW YORK — Stocks that moved substantially or traded heavily Friday:Altria Group Inc., down 22 cents to $54.18The maker of Marlboro cigarettes is taking a 45 per cent stake in Cronos Group, a Canadian medical and recreational marijuana company.Anadarko Petroleum Corp., up 47 cents to $52.06Energy company stocks rose along with the price of crude oil after OPEC leaders agreed to cut production next year.Ulta Beauty Inc., down $38.45 to $254.47The cosmetics retailer issued an earnings outlook that disappointed investors.Broadcom Inc., up $1.32 to $228.56The chipmaker reported big gains in earnings and revenue from its fourth fiscal quarter and said it would raise its dividend.The Cooper Cos., down $34.02 to $243.01The medical device maker reported earnings that missed analysts’ estimates and issued a weak forecast.Big Lots Inc., down $9.30 to $31The discount retailer reported a fiscal third-quarter loss of $6.6 million, after reporting a profit in the same period a year earlier.United Natural Foods Inc., down $4.85 to $14.88The organic and specialty foods distributor reported results that were far weaker than investors were expecting.Vail Resorts Inc., down $48.52 to $223.25The ski resort operator reported a loss that was much wider than a year earlier and revenue that fell short of analysts’ forecasts.The Associated Press