The World Bank has approved two emergency support operations totaling US$65 million for restoring agriculture livelihoods, strengthening resilience, and rebuilding houses destroyed by Hurricane Maria in Dominica.Part of US$115 million packageThe Washington-based financial institution said this represents its highest ever financing for Dominica. The funding is part of a larger US$115 million package of support that includes financing of US$65 million in concessional terms and US$50 million in grant financing from the International Development Association’s (IDA) Crisis Response Window.Hurricane Maria killed at least 30 people and caused damages and loses estimated at US$1.37 billion or 226 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) when it passed through the island on September 18 last year.The greatest damage was in housing and transport, with more than 4,500 houses destroyed and 20,000 partially damaged, and many roads and bridges affected and covered by trees and flooded debris.The agriculture sector had the largest losses, with 80 to 100 per cent of crops destroyed. Farmers lost half of their cattle and many fishermen lost their boats and fishing gear.Enables critical investment in agriculture and housing“This financing enables us to make two critical investments in our economic recovery following the devastation of Hurricane Maria last year. These investments in agriculture and housing also represent vital components of our plan to make Dominica the first climate resilient nation in the world,” said Dominica Prime Minister, Roosevelt Skerrit.The World Bank said the US$25 million Emergency Agricultural Livelihoods and Climate Resilience project will help farmers and fisherfolks to restore their agriculture and fishing production and systems, and adopt climate smart practices.
BALTIMORE, United States, CMC – The Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency says officers arrested a Jamaican national at Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport on a Palm Beach County, Florida, felony arrest warrant for sex offenses on a child.On Wednesday, CBP said officers arrested Vivian Linton Vickers, 43, as soon as he deplaned from his flight from Montego Bay, Jamaica.“Officers verified Vicker’s identity and turned him over to the US Marshals Service,” it said, adding that it “placed a detainer on Vickers to be returned to CBP to complete his admissions inspection upon adjudication of charges.”Casey Durst, CBP’s director of the Baltimore, Maryland Field Office, said “allegations of sexual offenses committed against children are heinous.”“Customs and Border Protection officers are pleased to work with our law enforcement partners to return an allegedly dangerous fugitive to justice,” he said. “Arresting wanted fugitives at our nation’s ports of entry is one way in which CBP helps to keep our communities safe.”CBP said officers in Miami connected Vickers to the outstanding arrest warrant and notified the US Marshals Service of Vickers’ pending arrival in Baltimore.The customs and border patrol agency said officers screen both foreign visitors and US citizens arriving and departing the United States for outstanding arrest warrants, narcotics, unreported currency, weapons, prohibited agriculture and other illicit products “to assure that global tourism remains safe and strong.”On a typical day last year, CBP said it processed more than one million travelers who arrived at airports, seaports and land border crossings across the United States, and arrested 75 wanted criminals at US ports of entry.”
Already struggling in the special teams, the Ravens’ coverage units took another hit on Tuesday with the announcement that linebacker Prescott Burgess has been placed on injured reserve with a thigh injury. The fifth-year linebacker sustained the injury in Sunday’s 30-27 comeback win over the Arizona Cardinals. Burgess appeared in three games with Baltimore this season, recording one assisted tackle and two special teams tackles. The 6-foot-3, 253-pounder led the Ravens in special teams tackles the past two seasons. A sixth-round choice by the Ravens in 2007, Burgess was waived at the end of the preseason before being re-signed to take the place of cornerback Domonique Foxworth, who was placed on injured reserve on Sept. 28. The linebacker was waived again during the bye week in favor of defensive back Bryan McCann before being re-signed again on Oct. 18 after offensive lineman Mark LeVoir was released. The Ravens also announced changes to their practice squad, releasing safety Mana Silva and re-signing wide receiver Rodney Bradley to take his spot.
The first leg of the 2018 African Nations Championship qualification at Stade de Kégué, Lomé, saw the home team settle for a disappointing 1-1 draw against Benin.Marcellin Koukpo scored the opener for Squirrels of Benin in the 44th minute to secure a first half win which was canceled by Togo’s Sewonou Koidjo in the 47th minute. Both teams created chances, but none could find a winner before the end of what was a pleasurable contest.The return leg will take place on the 23 July 2017, at Stade de l’Amitié, Cotonou.A win for Benin is crucial to advance to the second round of the qualification, but the delight is even if the game ends in a scoreless draw, they’d advance at the expense of the Hawks.The winner of this two-legged tie would take on Nigeria, 2014 bronze medalists in a final playoff game for a place in CHAN 2018 with the first leg taking place on the weekend of 11th – 13th August, and the return leg on Saturday, 19th August.Other CHAN first leg results:Gambia 0-0 MaliGuinea-Bissau 1-3 GuineaLiberia 0-2 MauritaniaSierra Leone 1-1 SenegalRelated
Related Substitute Alex Iwobi scored with the last kick of the game to hand his Arsenal side a respectable 1-1 draw against German champions and old nemesis Bayern Munich in a 2017 International Champions Cup (ICC) game played in Shanghai.Bayern took the lead in the 8th minute after Polish striker Robert Lewandowski scored from the spot following young midfielder Ainslay Maitland-Niles’ debatable foul on Juan Bernat in the penalty box.Arsenal had goalkeeper Petr Cech to thank for keeping the scoreline at 1-0 before the Super Eagles star’s late intervention took the game to penalties.The Gunners went on to triumph 3-2 during the penalty shootouts as the North London club finally enjoyed a win over their Bavarian
Lobi Stars striker Anthony Okpotu says he is ‘overwhelmed’ after being named the Best Player in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) last season by the League Bloggers Award.In a colorful ceremony at the Sheraton Hotel in Lagos on Tuesday night, Okpotu who also emerged topscorer in the NPFL last season with 19 goals, beat off competition from Daniel Itodo, Alhassan Ibrahim and Stephen Odey to emerge the league’s Most Valuable Player.Speaking exclusively to www.busybuddiesng.com, the 23-year old forward equally dedicated both awards to God and his teammates.“I was overwhelmed after being named the best player in the league for last season,” Okpotu said.“It was a thing of joy for me, I am very, very happy.“I will dedicate it first to God and to my teammates because I didn’t do it alone. We did it as a team. So, I will dedicate it back to my teammates and to God.” Audio Playerhttps://www.busybuddiesng.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Okpotu-November-29.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.RelatedAUDIO: Excited Okpotu Dedicates NPFL Golden Boot To God, Less-Privileged, Teammates.September 11, 2017In “Nigeria”I’m Not In A Hurry To Leave The NPFL – Okpotu (AUDIO)March 3, 2018In “Nigeria”LBA Awards: Lobi Stars Goal Machine Okpotu Bags Double HonoursNovember 29, 2017In “Nigeria”
Related Articles Best Odds Marketing has entered a partnership with McBride Racing, the Irish operator of online sports betting brand MintBet.The UK based digital marketing consultancy, which focuses on the iGaming and retail betting sectors, are to manage MintBet’s online marketing and affiliate programme promotions, ahead of its official launch.Thomas McBride, Head of Marketing at MintBet, said: “We’ve partnered with Best Odds Marketing because they know this space, and have years of proven award-winning experience in acquisition within the iGaming sector. “We will leverage their knowledge and expertise to create a competitive offering and actively promote our sports-betting and casino brand in the UK.”Under the terms of the agreement Best Odds Marketing will be installed as the official marketing partner for MintBet, with the two companies working in partnership to acquire new customers and promote the MintBet brand to the wider market within the UK, all under its current regulated licence.Lee-Ann Johnstone, founder and CEO of Best Odds Marketing, said: “Partnering with MintBet to help launch this exciting new brand and provide strategic marketing support is a great challenge for our team. “It’s very exciting to work alongside an organisation that is focused, open to trying innovative marketing techniques and dedicated to building strong affiliate relationships. We look forward to being part of their brand journey online and helping them launch their affiliate programme soon.” Kenneth Alexander: Industry’s regulatory future is in-play as live sport resumes June 15, 2020 Share HBLB ups prize money commitment by 50% July 31, 2020 StumbleUpon Submit UK greyhound racing fast-tracks unlimited races June 9, 2020 Share
How BetCris has supported Ronnie O’Sullivan’s snooker success October 2, 2019 Sportradar supports snooker’s Championship League with data deal June 2, 2020 Related Articles Submit Share StumbleUpon Champion Trio bolsters BetVictor’s racing stable July 17, 2019 Share Asian focused bookmaker ManBetX has been announced as the title sponsor of two upcoming World Snooker ranking events, The Welsh Open and The Gibraltar Open.Emanating from the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff, The ManBetX Welsh Open, one of the sports longest running tournaments and an ever present on the calendar since 1992, begins today (Monday 26 February) and runs until Sunday 4 March.Amongst the 129 strong field vying for the trophy are defending champion Stuart Bingham, as well as Ronnie O’Sullivan, Judd Trump, Mark Selby and John Higgins.Alternatively the ManBetX Gibraltar Open is set to run from Wednesday 7 March to Sunday 11 March, and will be held at the territory’s Tercentenary Sports Hall.First staged in 2015 and won last year by Shaun Murphy, the champion will be back to defend his title, alongside Barry Hawkins, Luca Brecel, Jimmy White and Chinese world number one, and world number four, Ding Junhui.Barry Hearn, World Snooker Chairman, said: “We are thrilled to welcome ManBetX on board for the first time. These are two fantastic world ranking events to look forward. Snooker continues to grow rapidly as a global sport and these tournaments will be watched by many millions of fans via the coverage on BBC Wales and Eurosport, bringing tremendous exposure to the ManBetX brand.“We have seen sensational snooker on our tour so far this season with many of the top guns firing their way to the big titles. It will be fascinating to see where the trophies go in the coming weeks and we look forward to working with the ManBetX team.”Scott Taylor, Partner at Project11, added: “We are delighted to lead with ManBetX’s expansion into snooker. This follows on from ManBetX’s current front of shirt sponsorship with Crystal Palace. “These two prestigious title sponsorship’s are the perfect fit to further the reach of the ManBetX brand. It’s been great working with World Snooker – another marquee sporting property within the Project11 portfolio.”
StumbleUpon Share Share BGC: Charities win big as bookies take beating in Britannia Stakes June 19, 2020 Submit EFL urges government to rethink gambling sponsorship ban July 3, 2020 PokerStars moves to refresh global appeal with ‘I’M IN’ August 18, 2020 Related Articles Sky Bet and Heavyweight Sports has outlined ambitions to raise the profile of a nominated charity, ahead of Sky Bet’s sponsorship of the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle at next week’s Cheltenham Festival. This year’s high profile Sky Bet Supreme Novices Hurdle will see the UK’s most popular online bookmaker link up with the Injured Jockeys Fund (IJF). As Sky Bet not only offers the IJF the honour and profile of walking in the first race winner of racing’s biggest week of the year but also donates £5000 to the charity.For their part the IJF have given the honour of walking in the Festival’s first winner to one of their many beneficiaries; former jockey Richard Hawkins. Darren Haines of Heavyweight Sports commented: “This is what brands should be doing to sweat their sponsorships in 2018. Putting a colourful sash on a promotional team achieves very little and, in any case, is all but invisible to your customer’s brand-wary eyes in this day and age.“People expect companies to do more now and use their brand weight to positive affect, which this certainly does. It is great that Sky Bet are leading the industry in conscientiously breaking away from the old and tired traditions.” Sandro Di Michele, head of PR for Sky Bet, added: “We have long felt the use of Walk-In girls for promotional uses has had its day in sport and the time was right to use this exposure opportunity more positively. This honour that Sky Bet will be providing to a charity each year will afford them some great exposure given there is so much anticipation and excitement for the Festival’s curtain-raising Sky Bet Supreme Novices’ Hurdle Race.“As soon as we decided this we knew that the Injured Jockeys Fund was absolutely the right charity to work with for the first winner’s walk-in and their decision to give that honour to one of their many beneficiaries, Richard, is inspired.” How Racegoers Can Give to The IJF with Sky Bet:In addition to Sky Bet’s £5000 donation to the IJF the bookmaker is encouraging Cheltenham racegoers and fans watching at home to also give what they can to the charity. They can do so by donating on line www.injuredjockeys.co.ukCall: 01638662246Text IJF to 70800 to donate £5
Merkur Sportwetten increases stake in Belgium’s Betcenter August 4, 2020 Submit StumbleUpon Share Share Gauselmann Group outlines plans to reopen once lockdown lifted April 24, 2020 Gauselmann Group acquires majority stake in Bede Gaming March 12, 2020 Related Articles Markus EttlinHaving recently expanded its presence into the Polish sports betting market with a Totolotek SA takeover, Merkur Sportwetten GmbH has announced that it has hired Markus Ettlin as its new Managing Director and Chairman. Ettlin joins Merkur Sportwetten after holding the position of senior manager at the duty-free provider Gebr. Heinemann for 18 years. He joined the Gauselmann Group in December last year and has spent his first few months familiarising himself with the different business segments. Paul Gauselmann, founder and Chairman of the Management Board of the Gauselmann Group commented on the new appointment: “The sports betting business segment is gaining increasing traction within the Gauselmann Group. “In Markus Ettlin we have gained a top manager with many years of experience in wholesale and retailing, who will help to significantly drive the business forward and optimise the customer experience at the point of sale, both bricks-and-mortar and online. “An additional bonus is that he comes from a family business, which will of course aid smooth integration into our corporate culture.”“I am looking forward to my new assignment. Offering our customers a first-class brand experience across all platforms is my top priority. What’s more, forthcoming liberalisation of the market offers huge growth potential,” Markus Ettlin added. Merkur Sportwetten operates as a subsidiary of the Espelkamp-based Gauselmann Group, consolidating the group’s national and international operations. Its portfolio includes the betting broker Cashpoint as well as the sports betting brands XTiP, Cashpoint’s Austria and Denmark divisions, and Betcenter.Its expansion into the Polish market has meant that sports betting enthusiasts will be able to wager bets via MERKUR SUN across 2,200 points of sale (shops, kiosks, terminals) and a wide variety of internet channels.