CORDIALITY CONTROLS TEMPO AND TAKES $100,000 FRAN’S VALENTINE STAKES BY 1 ¼ LENGTHS UNDER TALAMO; TRAINED BY YAKTEEN, SHE GETS ONE MILE ON TURF IN 1:34.70RACE IS PART OF LUCRATIVE GOLDEN STATE SERIES FOR CALIFORNIA-BRED OR SIRED HORSESARCADIA, Calif. (May 12, 2019)–Breaking from the rail, trainer Tim Yakteen’s Cordiality made an easy lead and proceeded to take eight pursuers on a merry chase en route to registering a 1 ¼ length victory in Sunday’s $100,000 Fran’s Valentine Stakes at Santa Anita. Ridden by Joe Talamo and owned by Donnie Crevier, the 6-year-old California-bred mare by Papa Clem got a flat mile on turf in 1:34.70.“When I got back, I was surprised to see those fast fractions,” said Talamo. “Her ears were up and she was doing it so easy. The plan going in was to sit second, third or fourth, but when nobody went, we inherited the lead by accident. When the four (runner-up Queen Bee to You) came to her, I got a little concerned, but when I asked her turning for home, she kicked on and was very impressive.”Most recently fifth, beaten seven lengths in the Grade II Royal Heroine Stakes at one mile on turf here April 6, Cordiality, who is out of the Unusual Heat mare Warmth, was off as the 5-2 second choice in the field of nine California-bred or sired fillies and mares and paid $7.00, $4.40 and $3.20.“We had a plan for her when we claimed her (two starts back for $62,500 on Feb. 18), we just didn’t have a prep race,” said Yakteen. “So that’s why we had to run against those tough mares in her last race, but it worked out well for us.“The 46 and two (fifths, for a half mile) didn’t concern me, but when she didn’t kick away at the quarter pole, I thought they were going to swamp her…But she showed her heart and determination, she’s a gritty mare.”With the winner’s share of $60,000, Cordiality boosted her earnings to $502,835. A winner of last year’s Fran’s Valentine when trained by Mark Glatt, she now has three lifetime stakes wins, all versus state-breds and an overall mark of 29-10-7-3.Ridden by Ruben Fuentes, Queen Bee to You, who was scratched out yesterday’s Grade III Santa Barbara Stakes, pursued the winner throughout and kept to her task in game fashion late, holding second by 1 ¼ lengths over Pulpit Rider.Off at 14-1, Queen Bee to You paid $10.20 and $5.40.Pulpit Rider, who had one horse beat going into the Club House turn, finished up well to be third by 1 ½ lengths over 9-5 favorite Gypsy Blu. Ridden by Aaron Gryder, Pulpit Rider was off at 5-1 and paid $3.40 to show.Fractions on the race were 22.62, 46.16, 1:10.35 and 1:22.38.Named for the late Earl Schieb’s multiple graded stakes winning homebred daughter of Saros, the Fran’s Valentine is part of the lucrative Golden State Series which is sponsored by the CTBA.
But not everything is rosy, and the most categorical about it is David Van den Broeck of Het Nieuwsblad: “My feeling is that (the postponement) is a disadvantage. We are concerned, above all, about the defense and his age. “ Although he does not forget Hazard and highlights that “our captain and star will recover in normal time, without pressure, and will be at its peak in 2021”, at the same time it points to a matter that is being discussed in Belgium. This is how Terreur analyzes it: “This summer had always been seen as the last great opportunity for glory for Belgium. The golden generation is also the ‘old’. Our best players will be 30 or older, except Lukaku. ” Blouard translates it into data: “Kompany will be 34 years old, Vertonghen 33, Alderweireld 32 and Vermaelen, 35”. François Laurent, from Sudpresse, supports it and broadens the focus to another detail: “It is bad news for some players by age and condition, as well as why This summer Belgium was going to arrive after 30/30 in points and as number 1 in the FIFA Ranking. It is not a title, but it generates respect in the rivals. ” “Our last great opportunity may be gone”, Terreur sentence.“For Courtois nothing changes”, assures the quintet. “It will come at a perfect age, plus an extra year of experience at one of the biggest clubs in the world,” says Van den Broeck. “The Belgians are happy for him after so much criticism in Spain at the start of the season”, Blouard recalls. 10 The postponement of the European Championship to 2021 has raised very similar currents of opinion in Belgium. AS has consulted five journalists from local media who in this regard have underlined the names of Eden Hazard and Roberto Martínez. Also, because of being questioned by a Spanish newspaper, Thibaut Courtois. The main beneficiary, those asked agree, is Hazard. “For him it could be better because he will not have to force: good for Madrid, good for Belgium. One more year will not matter for him (he will be 30) or for Courtois, who has always been excellent with the selection “, explains Kristof Terreur, from HLN, the journalist closest to the Belgian players. Out there throws too Vincent Blouard of L’Avenir: “Many people are happy because it is good for Hazard.” And Hannes van Gael, from Voetbalkrant: “Great news for him because there were some doubts if he would arrive fully recovered by the start of the tournament. It is Belgium’s biggest advantage for 2021. “ one Yes restless, although there is confidence that it will be solved soon and well, the situation of Roberto Martínez, who ends his contract in June. “I had to give an answer before the Euro”, Blouard himself says. “I think the Federation, which will stop earning 2.7 million when this month’s tournament in Qatar is canceled, will get this good news. But will it renew for a year, two to also be in the 2022 World Cup? “, Laurent launches …
A 55-year-old businesswoman is cautioning Liberians nationwide not to become complacent on hearing news of the decline in the deadly Ebola spread. Liberians should in fact double up and continue to strictly observe all the preventive measures issued by our health authorities, Madam Marvoline B. Smith admonished in an exclusive interview with the Daily Observer in Monrovia recently.Mrs. Smith, an importer of used clothing and a cross border trader for nearly 21 years, expressed concern that some Liberians and foreign residents have begun to abandon the Ebola prevention measures and return to the old ways of doing things in some parts of Monrovia.Asked about what she made of the worrisome predictions in the international media, Madam Smith was confident that with “sustained determination, fortitude and resilience on the part of Liberians, those predictions will be proven wrong.”“We can beat back all the terrifying and Judgment Day predictions given by international medical agencies, once Liberians adapt the appropriate behavior patterns throughout the country,” said Madam Smith.“It is my fervent prayer that the newly constructed ETU facilities will not be used for massive admission of Ebola virus patients in the country,” Madam Smith said.For the past three weeks, many holding, isolation centers and Ebola Treatment Units around the country have reported a steady decline in the number of suspected, probable and confirmed cases of Ebola patients. As a result, many Liberians are breathing a sigh of relief as the terrifying predictions of another Ebola surge continue to be deflated, thanks to the waning of infections across the nation.In order for Liberians to remain alive and safe, Madam Smith advised that the Ebola prevention guidelines such as frequently washing hands, refraining from shaking hands and hugging should be strictly observed and that sustained and extensive public awareness should be prioritized throughout the country.In a related development, several market women have pointed out the need for themselves to observe the vital Ebola prevention measures issued by the Ministry of Health and its partners.“We are the second group of Liberians at the front lines, providing very essential services to the greater population of the country and we should be vigilant against the spread of the deadly Ebola virus,” Mrs. Martha B. Benjamin, one of the marketers, stressed.Mrs. Benjamin cautioned market women in the country to handle with great care the various kinds of foodstuffs intended for the Liberian markets in all parts of the country.“Let all of us work together as foot soldiers and drive the deadly Ebola virus from all parts of our country,” urged Mrs. Benjamin.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
“In order for us to improve any sports, a federation cannot just be receiving subsidies from government.”Youth and Sports Minister D. Zeogar Wilson says despite the challenges faced by the ministry to subsidize sporting federations in the country, the federations themselves should engage in activities that will provide a positive impact on the young people in the country.Minster Wilson’s statement comes in the wake of an assessment report presented by the ministry’s monitoring and evaluation team conducted on various sporting federations in the country.He said although some of the federations are receiving a little from the government that may not be enough, the impact of most of those federations is not felt in the country.“Even if you don’t have a national league, your presence should be felt in high schools. In order for us to improve on our sports, a federation cannot just be receiving subsidies from the government, even if it is a thousand dollars; that thousand dollars can be used to benefit the young people,” he said.He said the Ministry of Youth and Sports is not just for football. The ministry is doing all it can to tackle other federations in the country, he said.Minister Wilson made reference to the ongoing construction work on the basketball gymnasium at the back of the ministry, which is located at the Samuel Kanyon Doe Sports Complex. He said when completed, the gymnasium will host basketball and volleyball games.He further noted that the ministry is planning to hold discussions with various federations in order to find solutions to their challenges.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! CASTAIC – A car-theft suspect tried to evade arrest Thursday by jumping into Pyramid Lake, officials said. A sheriff’s deputy was checking the license plate on a parked car, which turned out to be stolen, when a man standing nearby suddenly took off his pants and jumped into a canal leading to the lake, officials said. The man, identified as Anthony Michael Brown, 29, stayed in the lake for more than 15 minutes, until he appeared to tire, officials said. Authorities said Brown, once on land, resisted arrest and had to be pepper-sprayed. He was expected to be booked on suspicion of vehicle theft.
PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. – The BC government is giving $320,022 to the Prince George Nechako Aboriginal Employment and Training Association that will study labour market trends, as well as needs, including future LNG opportunities, for 10 First Nations communities in the region.The following groups will collaborate together on the project: Cheslatta Carrier Nation, Lheidli T’enneh Band, McLeod Lake Band, Nadleh Whut’en Band, Nak’azdli Band, Saik’uz First Nation, Stellat’en First Nation, Takla Lake First Nation, Tl’azt’en Nation and Yekooche First Nation, as well as any other communities that choose to participate.The project will be employing a co-ordinator, a research assistant and field interviewers.The strategy will include current and projected labour market needs, information on the current composition of the Aboriginal workforce, identification of training and education needs and strategies to meet labour market needs now and in the future. It will also create Aboriginal human resource development programs within each community.- Advertisement -Once the report is complete, which should be around October, it will be shared with the communities that participated in the project.The money for the project is provided through the Labour Market Partnership stream of the Community and Employer Partnerships program.Advertisement Shirley Bond, Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Minister Responsible for Labour, and MLA for Prince George-Valemount says it is very important to maintain close ties with First Nations.“It is critical that we work in partnership with First Nations as we grow our economy. This study will give us the information we need to create a labour market strategy to ensure that First Nations are full participants in our economic growth both today and in the future.”
UPDATE – City officials as well as police are blocking off certain roads. Residents are asked to avoids areas that have high levels of water. Several roads have been flooded. We have reports of flooding on 100th near Tru Hardware, flooding near the Wholesale Club and along the Alaska Highway and the frontage road on the South side of the Highway. Photo Credit: Marcus Wernicke – Advertisement – FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – A storm Tuesday night has caused flash flooding in the Mathews Park area of Fort St. John.The storm started just after 6:30 p.m. and has caused flooding in low lying areas like Mathews Park.The following photos have been sent to Energeticcity.ca of the water levels. Photo from 92a street Tuesday night. Photo from 92a street Tuesday night. Photo from 92a street Tuesday night. If you spot any areas that have been flooding, send us pictures and video to email@example.comThis story will be updated as more information is available.Advertisement
Bayern Munich have entered the race to sign Arsenal and Manchester United target Matteo Darmian.Scouts from the Bundesliga giants are expected to watch the Torino star turn out for Italy against Croatia in Friday’s European Championship qualifier.Darmian, 25, has long been linked with a switch to the Premier League but Pep Guardiola wants to add the attacking full-back to his ranks.According to SportMediaset, Bayern scouts are in place to run the rule over the defender when he turns out for the Azzurri.The former AC Milan defender, who is valued at around £15m, is contracted to his hometown club until 2017 and hit five goals in 46 appearances last term. Italy defender Matteo Darmian 1
Leicester City defender Christian Fuchs says the club should honour title-winning manager Claudio Ranieri with a statue for his role in the Foxes’ remarkable journey to Premier League glory.The team completed arguably the biggest shock in sporting history on Monday, as nearest rivals Tottenham’s 2-2 draw with Chelsea meant Leicester are uncatchable at the top with two games still to play.The Foxes have lost just one game since December – a 2-1 defeat to Arsenal – and have been unmoved at the top flight summit since the middle of January.And after one of the most unlikely and thrilling twists in football, having narrowly avoided relegation last season, the team will lift the coveted trophy after their final home game of the campaign against Everton on Saturday.It will be moment to savour for the players, and for their faithful fans, but Foxes full-back Fuchs insists Ranieri should also be rewarded for the impact he’s made at the club, as well as the city of Leicester as a whole.Asked if Italian boss should be honoured like Ferguson, Shankly and Clough and be immortalised in bronze, Fuchs told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “I think a statue would be well deserved.“He’s done a lot for the club, he’s done a lot for the city… and we all enjoyed his press conferences, they were amazing!“Yeah would definitely support that – he should have a statue at Leicester City, why not?”ALSO READ: Dilly Ding, Dilly Dong! Claudio Ranieri ‘proud and happy’ as Leicester are crowned Premier League champions